Wednesday 7 December 2011

Solids?


I have been recently getting worried for Osrid Olov, for largely no reason...he is 13 months old as of tomorrow and does not have ANY interest in solid foods whatsoever! He is exclusively breastfed.

We follow child-led solids, which is now even recommended by most health professionals around the world as children being spoon fed prematurely can lead to digestive troubles, eating disorders, food allergies and several other health issues. However; mostly they recommend that a child will start to eat of their own accord around 6 months. Osrid is far past this! I took him to a doctor (even though I am usually not into western medicine) at 8 1/2 months for some oral pains he was suffering, and she was not concerned that he had not started solid foods-it is apparently very common for breastfed babes. I still thought; maybe there is something I should be worried about.

I feel reassured now; because I have talked to some Mum friends of mine who have had children not start eating until around 2, 3 years old, and one mother even told me that her son did not eat a bite of food until he was 5 1/2 years old! She told me that her doctor said he would be perfectly fine if he did not eat even into adulthood, because he was growing and developing perfectly well otherwise.

...Well, I can say the same for O.O.! He is very healthy, very happy, he weighs over 20 lbs, is a powerhouse of energy. So all I need to do really is just continue what we are doing: engaging him in meal times, offering him mini meals (a bite sized amount or two) that are the same as our own ect (I offered him, for instance, some dates yesterday and some organic rye bread today-both of which he threw on the floor!)...and he will eat, when he is ready! If he is not eating, his digestive system is probably unprepared for solid food. I do not want to give him food allergies, bowel disorders, immune system failures and who knows what else by pushing, pressuring or forcing him to eat. I trust that he knows his body and what it needs, and until the time comes, I am providing him with EVERYTHING that he needs (and hey, he's keeping me healthy too for "extended" breastfeeding wards off cancer and other disease). He is healthy as a horse, the only illness he has ever had was a very minor bout of dhiarrhoea (knock on wood) and he recovered quickly.

What I need to do though; is wear a thick skin-the criticism of others is already starting, and it will get much worse as he is older (if he does not wean that is). I need to shrug it off-I'm doing what's best for my little guy by meeting HIS needs, whatever they may be :)

On a side note I am so proud of him; he blew air for the first time yesterday. The reason this is important is because he has been trying for a very long time but keeps trying through closed lips and makes very funny sounds :) For some reason, he finds it very funny when we blow at his face, cracks up into giggles (maybe it tickles him?) and he can finally do it back.

He is walking like a champ too, and runs very well, but still isn't seeming to want to walk outside-but, it will come.

He is such a very good boy, we get so many compliments for what a sweet young man he is. I am soooo lucky for he rarely ever gets upset in public (when he does get in the slightest way upset though, I pick him up and take him home...no need to let it elevate to tantrums when I have all the time in the world to go back when he's feeling better and do other things), smiles sweetly at others, and is just such an angel. I am such a proud mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment